Susie Gowers BSc (Hons), SLPT, MRCSLT, HCPC, MASLTIP
Phone: 01746 785502
I qualified as a Speech and Language Therapist in 1988, having studied and graduated in Birmingham. I took up an NHS post in the West Midlands, working with a variety of speech and language disorders in adults and children. After approximately five years of working in hospitals and special and mainstream schools, I was drawn to specialise in children's speech and language difficulties.
I live in Shropshire with my husband and twelve year old daughter. I have first-hand experience of the statementing process, with its benefits and frustrations. I have been able to use this experience to support families in similar situations.
About the children I see
I treat a wide range of speech and language difficulties. these include:
- difficulties in understanding or remembering what has just been said.
- struggling to recall words or to construct sentences.
- problems with pronunciation of speech sounds.
- specific difficulty with social interaction and friendships.
- speech & language difficulties associated with poor reading and spelling development.
A common factor with all of the children I see is that their communication difficulty is in some way impacting on their ability to cope in the classroom; whether socially or academically.
About my work
The area in which I work typically covers Shropshire, Worcestershire and the West Midlands (West of Birmingham).
I will arrange to meet with a parent or carer at the initial assessment. This allows me to gain a fuller picture of your child's strengths and weaknesses and to understand your concerns.
Following assessment, you will be given verbal feedback, and there are a range of options you may wish to consider, including:
- Advice and strategies to use at home, with progress reviewed as necessary.
- One to one therapy at home or nursery or school.
- Detailed report of assessment findings with recommendations.
- Referral to another agency.
I hold memberships of the following organizations:
- Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists
- Health and Care Professionals Council
- Association of Speech and Language Therapists in Independent Practice
As a professional working with children and vulnerable people, I am able to provide evidence of a recent Criminal Records Bureau check.